Depicting the day-to-day death defying feats of parenting a child with ADHD, SID and ODD...and his brother.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Increase in Sensory Behaviors

We're seeing an increase in sensory behaviors with M. I've noticed that he's chewing on things again, and he hasn't done that in a long time. The other thing we're seeing is him wanting to sit inside laundry baskets and these big blue buckets we have. Small spaces seem to make him feel secure. I'm not sure if the increase is due to anxiety from issues at school, or if we are simply seeing the reemergence of old behaviors.

I did start doing the "hot dog" game with M, during which he wraps himself tightly in a blanket and then I do a deep pressure rub over his body. It seems to calm him immensely, and I *think* helps him go to sleep.

I'm about a 1/4 of the way done with his weighted lap blanket. It feels wonderful, but I'm not sure it's going to be heavy enough. I have to order more rings as I didn't order enough to begin with.

I'm feeling really frustrated this afternoon, after reading a note from M's teacher saying that his behavior was "purposeful." How does she know that? She doesn't have PhD or MD or even Social Worker or Therapist after her name, so I wish she'd stop making assumptions based on other more "normal" 4th graders.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to introduce you to Voices of Sensory Processing Disorder. This is a community website where bloggers can share their experiences, victories, tips and everyday challenges with others. And we want you! We’d love to share your writing.

    Please visit us at www.voicesofsensoryprocessingdisorder.com to learn more. I do hope you'll join us. Happy blogging!
    Regards, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete